After establishing these foundations, users can tweak KDE to perform well on older hardware. Several options are listed at the KDE wiki.
- Update to a recent version of KDE. The updating game gets old real fast, but generally, with KDE a recent version means improved performance.
- Disable wallpaper. Select a pleasing and comfortable desktop screen color. (Configure Desktop.)
- Disable background gradients. (Configure Desktop.)
- Disable shadowed fonts. (Configure Desktop, Advanced Options.)
- Disable desktop icon tool tips. (Configure Desktop, Behavior.)
- Minimize the number of device icons on the desktop. (Configure Desktop, Behavior.)